Why Eco-Friendly/Ethical Jewelry Matters
- Mining usually involves heavy machinery and the movement of much of the earth, which can destroy habitats for wildlife and create poor conditions for communities living in the area.
- Laborers in gem cutting facilities often work without proper ventilation or safety gear, which has led to many deaths.
- Many gems and metals are mined through child slavery.
By supporting ethical producers of jewelry you are helping miners and children lead safer lives.
How Your Purchase Helps
About The Artisan
Home-based ironwork artisans, living in an underprivileged community surrounding Phnom Penh, Cambodia, make this recycled bomb shell and bullet jewelry.
Bomb casings are left over from Cambodia’s wartime three decades ago. Ironwork artisans skillfully mold bomb shells into beautiful jewelry pieces, introducing a small income to underprivileged communities.
While Cambodia has enjoyed years of peace and development since the war and atrocities of the brutal Khmer Rouge regime, today 30% of the population still live below the poverty line (on less than $1.25 per day).
By purchasing these bombshell products, you are helping to create Fair Trade jobs for disadvantaged Cambodians with high levels of unemployment.
Artisans are paid fairly and equitably for their skillful work, which keeps families together with food on their table. A liveable and reliable income is especially important for women as it allows them to raise healthy babies and children and provide for their future.
The designs use inspiration from Cambodia’s rich tapestry, restoring and preserving many traditional Cambodian skills.
This Earring Is Perfect For You If..
- You like statement piece earrings
- You attend a lot of parties
- You enjoy having one-of-a-kind jewelry
- Your style is boho/edgy
- You wear minimalist clothing